WhatsApp Pay is an in-chat payment feature that allows users to make transactions via WhatsApp to their contact list. It is UPI-based payments service that allows you to both send and receive money. It was developed by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI).
When was WhatsApp Pay introduced ?
WhatsApp Pay was launched in February 2018 in India as part of a trial run. Payments through WhatsApp were introduced to a million users under a partnership with ICICI Bank. On February 7, 2020, the messaging app received NPCI’s approval to roll out its digital payment service in a phased manner. In the first phase, WhatsApp will offer payment services to 10 million users in the country. Whatsappp Payments services started with ICICI BANK,SBI on 16th Dec 2020
How to enable WhatsApp Pay?
To use WhatsApp Pay, a user must initiate a payment to a contact. On recieving request, the user can set up their UPI account on WhatsApp.
How to use WhatsApp Pay?
Users can send money directly through chat by tapping on the share file icon and selecting ‘payment’. The ‘payment’ section is available on the shortcut menu. Users can check their transaction history and account details in that section. The payment system works on the Unified Payments Interface (UPI) method. Here fund transfers is initiatedwithout having to provide bank account numbers and IFSC codes of recipients.
Modes of transaction for WhatsApp Pay
WhatsApp Pay allows users to send money only to their contacts after which it enables UPI ID. WhatsApp Pay users could enter the UPI ID and send money. Through QR code, WhatsApp users can also send money to people who are not in their contact list.
WhatsApp has launched its payments feature in India after the go-ahead from the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI). The Facebook-owned messaging app has been testing its payment service in the country for over a year.
.On February 7, 2020, the messaging app received NPCI’s approval to roll out its digital payment service in a phased manner.
However, the payment service will be to 20 million WhatsApp users . NPCI has said that a 30 per cent limit will be implemented on total payment volumes via every third party payments app from January 1, 2021.
How to setup WhatsApp Payments ?
1) Download the latest version of WhatsApp for Android or iOS. Your WhatsApp number should be the same number as in your bank account.
2) Open WhatsApp and go to Settings then tap Payments.
3) Tap Add payment method choose your bank.
4) After you’ve selected your bank, you’ll need to verify your phone number.
Tap Verify via SMS.
5) Wait for the verification process to finish. Once done, your bank details will be added below Payment methods.
How to make payments by WhatsApp Pay
1) Open a WhatsApp chat and tap the attachment icon.
2) Tap on Payment and enter the amount, hit enter after that.
3) Enter your UPI pin to complete the payment. You will get a confirmation message after the transaction is complete
How to send money by whatsapp pay to Google Pay users
1) Open WhatsApp then go to Settings and tap on Payments.
2) Select New Payment and choose Send to a UPI ID. Enter the UPI ID and click on Verify.
3) After verification, enter the amount and hit enter. Enter your UPI pin to complete the payment.