What is Green PIN?:
India has more than 66 crores debit card users which is one of the highest in the world. Many times, cardholders find it difficult to generate the PIN of their ATM card on their own. Especially in the rural areas of the country, people often wait for help in order to generate the PIN of their debit card. To make it easier and more convenient for the cardholders and to promote paperless transactions, the concept of Green PIN was introduced. Green PIN was launched in the year 2016 by the State Bank of India.
GREEN PIN, the green initiative & a value added service, offers an effortless and hassle free ATM PIN generation for existing as well as new debit card customers. Customers can set their ATM PIN for new debit cards instantly after receiving the debit card by visiting our Bank ATM/ Other bank’s ATM.
Customers can also make use of this functionality in case they forget their existing ATM PIN. This facility is in addition to the instant PIN regeneration functionality available through automated IVR call. Customers can easily use this service without visiting the branch/ contact the customer care and wait for the PIN mailer.
Green Pin Features:
The features of the Green Pin are as under:
- Customer can reset their ATM PIN instantly using Green PIN solution.
- Green PIN generation on ATMs for existing and new customers.
- ATM PIN setup using Green PIN through own and other Bank ATMs.
- Green PIN OTP can be generated only on our Bank ATMs. The OTP validation can be done in our Bank as well as other Bank ATMs.
- Customer who has opted Green PIN need to validate OTP and change PIN in first use. In other Bank ATMs OTP can be used as old PIN & customer has to do mandatorily a PIN change transaction.
- Green PIN OTP is only for one time usage with maximum 3 attempts. OTP will get expire after 3 wrong attempts & customer has to regenerate new OTP from our Bankâ€™s ATM to set the new ATM PIN.
- Green PIN OTP will be 4 digits to support usage on our and other Bankâ€™s ATM network.
- Secure, convenient, anywhere and anytime
- ATM Debit Card PIN creation is available 24*7
This facility is available for all Personalized Cards and duplicate ATM PIN where mobile number is registered in Finacle.
While issuing debit cards or credit cards, most of the banks, including both public sector and private sector, provide a PIN that enables card usage at ATMs and point-of-sale (POS) terminals.
How Does Green PIN works?
The initiative of Green PIN was introduced to popularise paperless banking that will work in favour of both the employees as well as the customers of the bank. By availing this facility, cardholders can generate their debit card’s PIN through internet banking, SMS, IVR, and at the ATM as well. This initiative is being hailed as a great move towards saving paper.
Advantages of Green PIN:
Listed below are the advantages of the Green PIN initiative:
- The employees of the bank don’t have to keep physical custody of the ATM PIN as it is risky.
- The cardholders won’t need to visit the bank to collect their ATM PIN.
- The Green PIN initiative will successfully reduce carbon footprint of private and public banks in India.
- Customers can avoid delay in the process of getting their PIN and can generate it the day they receive their debit card.
- This is a cost-effective initiative as the bank doesn’t have to spend in sending the PIN to the customer via courier or post.
How Can a Cardholder Generate Green PIN?
A cardholder can generate their debit card’s PIN using the Green PIN initiative through internet banking, ATM or customer care. Listed below are the steps involved in each of these methods:
Generate Green PIN by Stepping into an ATM:
Once the cardholder receives their debit card, they can step into the nearest SBI ATM.follow the steps listed below to generate green pin using ATM
- Insert debit card into the ATM machine. Once the Main Menu appears on the screen, the cardholder needs to select the option of PIN Generation from it.
- The cardholder will be then asked to enter their 11-digit account number. Once they enter the same, they need to click on the ‘Confirm’ tab.
- Next, the cardholder will need to key-in their registered mobile number twice and confirm it.
- Once the details entered by the cardholder matches the ones registered with the bank’s records, a message saying, ‘Your Green PIN will be shortly delivered to your registered mobile number‘ will be displayed on the screen.
- Once the cardholder clicks on ‘Confirm’ again, another message will be displayed on the screen that would say, ‘Your Green PIN generation has been successful and you will receive the same on your registered mobile number.’
- The cardholder will then receive a message on their phone with a One Time PIN (OTP), which will be valid for 2 days.
Generate Green PIN through SMS:
Cardholders can also generate the Green PIN by sending an SMS from their registered mobile number.follow the steps listed below to generate green pin using SMS
- Cardholders can sms PIN ABCD EFGH (Here, ABCD represent the last four digits of their debit card and EFGH represent the last four digits of their bank account number that is linked to their debit card) to 567676.
- Once the SMS is sent, the cardholder will receive an OTP to the registered mobile number. The OTP will be valid for 2 days and the cardholder needs to use it to generate debit card PIN by visiting their nearest SBI ATM.
Generate Green PIN using IVR:
Cardholders can call the toll free customer care helpline of their bank to generate Green PIN on their registered mobile number.follow the steps listed below to generate green pin using IVR
- Call the toll free customer care number of their bank.
- The next step is to follow the instructions and select ‘ATM and Prepaid Services’ from the list of options that would be read out.
- Next, the cardholder needs to enter their debit card number twice and confirm it.
- The cardholder will be asked to enter the account number linked to the debit card twice and confirm it.
- Once the cardholder confirms all the details, they will receive an SMS with a One Time Password (OTP), which will be valid for two days, during which the cardholder can visit any of the ATMs to generate their debit card PIN.
Generate Green PIN using Internet Banking
Cardholders can also use internet banking to generate the Green PIN.
follow the steps listed below to generate Green PIN using internet banking
- Login to the internet banking portal of your bank.
- Under the ‘Cards’ option from the main menu, select the ‘PIN generation’ option.
- Select the card for which you are willing to generate the PIN.
- Once you confirm all your details, you will receive an OTP on your registered mobile phone number.
- You will be required to validate the OTP on the portal.
- Once the number has been validated, you can create your new PIN.
Generate Green PIN through missed call:
Alternatively, cardholders can also use the missed call service offered by banks to generate the Green PIN for their card.
Follow the steps listed below to generate Green PIN through missed call
- You will be required to call the toll-free missed call service number of your bank.
- The call will be disconnected automatically.
- After this an OTP will be generated and sent to your registered mobile phone number through an SMS.
- Next, you would be required to go to an ATM wherein you can insert your debit card and generate your new ATM PIN.
- Select the ‘Generate ATM PIN’ option and then select the ‘Validate OTP’ option.
- Enter the OTP and the Request ID for validation.
- After the verification is done, create your new PIN.
Generate Green PIN FAQ:
Yes, the application of the Green PIN is to encourage paperless transactions and to secure your transactions made from the debit card.
How can I generate my Green PIN?
Cardholders can SMS PIN ABCD EFGH (Here, ABCD represent the last four digits of their debit card and EFGH represent the last four digits of their bank account number that is linked to their debit card) to 567676.
Can the Green PIN be generated online?
Yes, you can generate your Green PIN online through your bank’s net banking facility.
What is green PIN for ATM card?
“Green PIN” is instant PIN generation / regeneration functionality available for Debit Card through ATM with One Time Password (OTP) sent to the customer’s mobile number registered with bank. Using the OTP, customer can set debit card PIN through Bank of India ATMs.
How do you make a green PIN?
Login to the internet banking portal of your bank. Under the ‘Cards’ option from the main menu, select the ‘PIN generation’ option. Select the card for which you are willing to generate the PIN. Once you confirm all your details, you will receive an OTP on your registered mobile phone number.
Can we generate green PIN in any ATM?
Green PIN OTP can be generated only on our Bank ATMs. The OTP validation can be done in our Bank as well as other Bank ATMs. Customer who has opted Green PIN need to validate OTP and change PIN in first use. In other Bank ATMs OTP can be used as old PIN & customer has to do mandatorily a PIN change transaction.
Can we generate green PIN online?
Select GREEN PIN option, ATM screen will prompt to enter 6 digits OTP delivered on registered mobile number. Enter 6 digit OTP and press OK. ATM screen will prompt you to enter 4 digits number of your choice as PIN of debit card and press OK. Please re-enter the same 4 digits number again for confirmation of PIN